Friday, January 18, 2008

An Awesome Book

My friend Shelly in Virginia is married to a guy who is crazy about growing things. He's very good at it and I'm inspired by his passion for gardening and sustainability. Shelly recommended this book, Gaia's Garden . I picked it up from the library and it's rocking my world.

Seriously making me re-think the conventional, although organic, ways that I've been attempting to grow food. Forget your neat and even rows in the garden, Gaia's Garden has this great "keyhole method" which allows for tighter plant spacing which helps maintain moisture while creating little healthy ecosystems in the garden.

I've turned into a garden dork. I cannot wait to be sweating in the dirt!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I used to work on an organic farm in Israel years ago and there was this really cool hippie french guy who used to get in arguements with the woman that owned the farm on how to grow the stuff. He wanted to let all the weeds grow around the veg so it all co-existed together, she wanted to weed it all out which was actually my job. I remember thinking, "you have to be kidding guys, I mean, come on, who cares!" Not sure where I stand in all of this now but will definitely give the book a look. Of course where I live nothing grows unless you water it directly anyway as we are mostly devoid of rain so this really isn't an issue I guess. Love the new blog! :)