Wednesday, March 26, 2008

The Lamb Snob

I have become The Lamb Snob. Unintentionally, but somehow I've pushed myself up the elitist lamb ladder.

After I put in my order for a half a lamb, I got online and looked about for more info on different cuts of lamb, and how to cook different pieces to get the best out of it.
I came across a warning to not fall victim to believing the label "Spring lamb". Often times, the "lambs" are really a few years old and not quite lamby.
The woman I ordered from said her lambs generally have a hanging weight of 28 pounds.
So this means that without a HEAD, GUTS, or SKIN, the meat is around 28 pounds.

My husband was telling a co-worker about our ordered lamb and he scoffed at the price and said he could care less about it being organic. He said his butcher sells him a whole lamb for $150, giving him around 80 pounds of meat. My husband laughed and said, "Dude, that's not lamb, you're eatin' MUTTON!"

A few days later a friend forwarded me an email from a farmer she bough a quarter cow from in the fall. The email was an order form to reserve your LAMB meat, "total hanging weight around 80 pounds".

Say what?!

Have you ever seen a lamb? They're pretty darn small. You can scoop one up in your arms and it feels the weight of a 4 year old human.
So imagine cutting off the head, removing the guts, the fleece, skin, etc. If you've still got around 80 pounds of meat, well, it would make ME ask a few questions.

Baaaaa!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Look for any Madhur Jaffrey cookery books for good lamb curry recipes! Lamb IS great in curry.

Love both your blogs!