Sunday, July 20, 2008

Garden Updates






We've harvested the early Norland Red potatoes. They're lovely and yummy and there aren't loads of them, but they're a treat with garlic and butter.

We have loads of green tomatoes right now. I have so many varieties that I can't keep them straight. Waiting for shades of red, coming soon.

Our yellow storage onions in a field of weeds. They're doing well but I hate weeding them. With the every-other-day rain we've been getting, my backyard is like a rain forest. You can feel the climate change as you walk from street to back fence, I swear.

Kohlrabi is just a freakish plant, isn't it? how did anyone decide that'd be interesting to eat?

Our hops are kicking butt as always. Like growing zucchini, no effort goes into it.
Maybe we'll get our act together and actually brew some beer this fall.

The sauerkraut is continuing to ferment in the basement. Pheeeeweeeeee! It smells like it should, and is still bubbling away. Will make more when that batch is through.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am SO impressed with all your veggies. Amazing!

Our patch looks very dry and sad right now, though I can hardly balme it in July in Phoenix! We still have loads of basil though, and a cucumber plant that is going beserk but does little more than produce tiny cucumbers that shrivel up and die. Any tips?

We are blessed to have a fall planting season here so I am gearing up to get that going at the beginning of August.