Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Wheat and Barley

My husband is interested in growing our own grain. At the beginning of the planting season, I didn't seem to have the time or brain cells to look into this one.
But as we continue to grow/process/eat locally, this seems like the natural next step.

I listened to a podcast from Canada called Deconstructing Dinner about CSAs adding grain to their usual vegetable subscriptions. I thought this was brilliant! The farmers were way into it, as growing wheat is seemingly effortless. They had no problem filling the orders and the customers loved it.
With the growing price of wheat (and the shortage world-wide), growing our own seems like the right thing to do.

I looked all over for first, local wheat seed,then American wheat seed, but to no avail. I ended up buying Ethiopion Blue Tinge wheat and Faust Barley from Canada(both easy to harvest without heavy equipment- you simply rub away the chaff with your hands or feet to get to the grain. The company is called Salt Spring Seeds.
Here's a little more info about the wheat.

Both can be planted in the fall, supposedly. I might just be too late, as the article I read about was written by a guy in British Columbia. Hmmm.

There's just so much to learn!

Just found this website about heritage wheats... very interesting.

3 comments:

sugarcreekstuff said...

Will you be growing your grains at your place? I'm curious how it turns out for you, please keep us posted.

Anonymous said...

I am as always impressed by all that you do. I learn so much from you each time I read! :)

Mid-life Midwife said...

Sugarcreek- yes, we'll be growing it in our back yard suburban lot. Will keep you posted for sure!

Mo-you're so sweet! Thank you. I'm equally impressed that you grow such a glorious garden in the desert!