Thursday, October 16, 2008

Books I've Enjoyed This Summer









A mix of homesteading, food preserving, the female body and sex. Here's my summer reading list.

The Joy of Pickling, It must be the large percentage of Polish girl in me, but I really love pickled foods.

The Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving, Where would me, my canning buddy husband and the jars be without this bible?

Woman, an Intimate Geography, This woman is a prose/poetry writer and a scientist, so the writing is strangely technical and scientific but flowery and sometimes, a little too much...but the book was fascinating and it's long over due to my pal Amy who loaned it to me months ago. Her husband gave it to her for Mother's Day, what a cool gift.

Bonk, The Coupling of Science and Sex, this book is written by Mary Roach who wrote that book STIFF (about dead bodies and forensic work, I believe--I've not read that one). She's a very witty lady and the book was hilarious and interesting. You get a sense of how funding for sex research has ebbed and flowed over the years depending on who is in political office and how conservative the country happens to be. And that's creepy.

Storey's Basic Country Skills, This is an awesome reference book for any novice homesteader, Urban or otherwise. There are so many things to look up or learn about in this book! Seriously, you can learn how to do everything from start vegetable seedlings to butcher and dress a hog (and I'm not talking motorcycles). The Ypsiville Hysterical Committee might not like that in my back yard, but it would be terribly historical.

Alex Stewart, Portrait of a Pioneer, Just go get a copy. It's great. Alex Stewart was considered one of the last living pioneers. He continued to live as he always had until the end-- very, very simply and happily.

Time to get the oldest up for school.
Let me know what great books you've read this summer!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am afraid not too many except for dreary school text books! :(

I did read "We Were The Mulvaney's" by Joyce Carol Oates though while we were on vacation and could not. put. it. down! Very compelling, very sad, and ultimately very liberating. I highly recommend it!

I also loved "Gaia's Garden" by Toby Hemenway, but I think you have already read that?

Mid-life Midwife said...

My MIL just gave me her copy of "We Were the Mulvaney's" a few months ago. She said it was really good but depressing. I've not felt in the mood for depressing... but I should start it!

I love Gaia's Garden too! Very inspiring, to be sure!
Oh, and happy birthday to your girl! ;)

Anonymous said...

Yes, it is certainly a very sad book and made a long lasting impression on me. I actually cried during the time I read it, and yet couldn't put it down. I have never been moved as much by a book. I agree though, don't read it unless you are feeling very chirpy!

Thank you for the birthday wishes for Kendra.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the tip about Gaia's Garden -- and the Ypsi library has it! I've looked into buying various permaculture books by Mollison, but they are really pricey. There's an upcoming permaculture certification course at Midwest Permaculture in the Chicago area, but again, expensive.

Anonymous said...

Lisele you may want to search and see if there is a Permaculture Guild in your area. We are very fortunate to have a great one here organized by a fun group of people. They run many permie classes and other events for a small donation.