Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Bad, bad blogger!


Yes, I've been a bad, bad blogger lately and this is why I can not maintain any readers. But you know, it is December. There's not a whole lot growing in our fair city these days. Well, apart from a ginormous and super cute baby girl. Miss M is now 2 months old and weighs 14 pounds 6 ounces! She's also grown 3 inches since birth. All on high-octane Mama Milk. I've been really busy lately with work and kids and trying to wrap my head around the holidays. Miss M has attended three births with me now and many, many prenatal and post partum visits. She's an awesome baby and very sweet. Counting my blessings every day for this family of mine!


And this picture? Well, it's not a very good one but it is a shot of farm animals in the city. On Sunday we attended the Cobblestone Farm Christmas shindig in Ann Arbor (very nice, btw). Aside from having a lovely old museum/farm house, they also have 4 small goats, many ducks, chickens and geese, a couple of ponies and two huge hogs (in the back pen there). How I would love my back yard to be full of these animals! Oldest daughter S (who is prone to drama and pouting now and then) harrumphed: "I wish our house was old and cool like this! I wish we could have all these animals!"
Mercy.
Seriously, this girl mooooooaaaanns if I ask her to help clean the chicken coop or to let the girls out in the morning. And when I reminded her that our house was built in 1860 and is definitely cool, she just rolled her eyes.


But back to our urban homestead...
Goals for this winter:
  • demystify bee keeping and figure out if I can bring on the honey in the new year
  • possibly add another raised bed or two in the front yard next spring
  • look at the last two years of hardcore food growing efforts and make a list of what worked, what didn't and re-think space issues
  • do the same with canning lists
  • take stock of saved seed; organize and try really hard to remember not to order more when those seed catalogs start rolling in
  • try to be a better blogger!

3 comments:

Judy T said...

She is SO cute! You've been busy- blogging should not be on your priority list. But thanks for the gratuitous baby pic.
Judy

Anonymous said...

I agree with Judy, she is adorable! Enjoy all the time with her :-) Hope all is well.

Anonymous said...

Love you new banner!

I am also trying to re evaluate my food growing goals right now, and only stick to the veggies we actually eat as a family, and that actually grow well here to save space. I don't seem to have any luck with beans, and peas are over too qucikly for the space they take up. I would love to try growing potatoes but alas still don't have the space!

What a beautiful baby! :)