Thursday, January 6, 2011

Home-Made presents winding down

 A very plain, basic, don't-look-too-closely throw quilt I made at the last minute for my Mom.

 These are nesting doll-style  hand puppets that my pal Grace enlightened me to via a designer off the Etsy How-To page. If I were a better person with more time, I'd link to that guy! I made these for baby M made of soft fleece and cotton duck from old Martha Stewart curtains that used to hang in our bedroom.

 My husband used to make me crazy by grabbing two or three tea towels and wrapping them loosely around the press pot in the morning. A very small kitchen does not need 3-5 tea towels out at any one time! We've all got things that make us twitchy, right? Right? At any rate, with the scrap wool I had left over after felting sweaters and making us all mittens, I made this press pot cozy that closes with velcro tabs. The wool is thin but works well to keep the coffee hotter, longer.
 Here's S on a pair of the stilts! (She looks 3' tall in this picture for some reason.) We've had a blast trying the stilts, although we can only practice on the linoleum in the kitchen or in E's room (he has a big rug) since all of our floors are hardwood. Clearly with the snow and ice, going outside to practice is out of the question. They're super fun though and they're so smoothly sanded, we don't need to worry about getting splinters! These are also adjustable with four different settings. S is already asking for me to raise them up, but not until we can get more practice outside!

We've got a ton of family birthdays surrounding Christmas and New Years here. My sister and husband share a birthday. This year she turned 45 and he turned 40! My sister has always had a thing for Hostess cupcakes, King-Dons and Ho-Hos. So aside from her gift, I also made her cream-filled chocolate cupcakes, frosted with chocolate icing with the classic white stripe across the top. I used an apple corer to pluck out space for the cream filling and then plugged them up again. They were delicious! And not at all healthy, aside from the wonderful nurturing powers of chocolate to the soul. For my husband, turkey/veg lasagna and a chocolate chip cheesecake with a chocolate glaze. 

My mom's birthday is Saturday and with that, we will conclude the eat-o-thon that begins with my birthday at the end of September, through the Halloween candy, the Thanksgiving feast and Christmas, Boxing Day and four family birthdays! Here's to my more giggly butt. Happy New Year!

Seed ordering and garden planning is about to commence!

No comments: