This is the *worst* summer I've experienced as far as "urban homesteading" goes.
Seriously, the cost/benefit analysis is making me shake my head.
This drought and a destructive groundhog has me shaking my fist (and saying a truck load of filthy words, to boot).
We finally set up rain barrels this year only to have them stand empty most days. We had one storm roll through that filled them up. I drained the both nearly completely watering the garden one night.
Never have I had to water the garden so often. My water bill is nearly double.
The groundhog came through and in ONE night, destroyed 28 broccoli plants, 12 cabbages, 12 cauliflower plants and 18 bok choy. Decimated. Gone.
I honestly stood at the chicken run and cried.
No water. Half of what I planted is gone in one fell swoop. My water bill is a fortune.
Hell with this.
Next year I'm growing grass and buying a swimming pool.
Argh.
Who knows?
8 comments:
Hey darlin, I've got some lovely broccoli seeds and a few extra plants if you're interested... of course, then you'd have to water them...
Thanks, Bridgit. I've made my peace with the garden (as far as it really being a loss this summer). Plus, I just saw another groundhog an hour or so ago when I went out to give the chickens scraps! Grrr! I want to EAT that groundhog!!
Don't give up. Still time to plant for the fall. I have also had a horrible growing season. Drought, rabbits, and fat groundhogs ruining things. Time to do mesh fencing I guess. Every season spent gardening is another humbling season of how much there remains for us to learn.
~A fellow gardener
Thanks, Anonymous for your gentle reminder.
I feel you! It's been a tough year for everyone. Our water bill is up there, too. I figure it's balancing out from last year where I think I only watered about 3 times the whole year... I hope you don't give up! You have been such an inspiration to Jeff and I over the years. That's not a bad idea, eating the groundhog. At least you know his diet is good. Also, I agree with the anonymous, fall and spring gardens have a lot of promise this year. <3
Thanks, Grace. Having my hissy fit and letting the garden go has made me relax enough to see what is salvageable out there; mainly some basil (groundhog doesn't like basil, apparently), potatoes, some kale and tomatoes. Turned it all into a tasty frittata (what else?!) for dinner the other night. That one little meal was pretty restorative to my cranky anti-garden mood. :)
Hi ! I have no idea how I came across your blog tonight, or where even where you live... but when I read your ROI post, I felt compelled to respond.
My grandparents homesteaded in Saskatchewan starting in 1906. For clearing large sections of Canadian prairie of scrub brush, and turning this land into one of the most prolific bread baskets on earth, the title to this land was granted to them, decades later. In the first years, they lived in a house built of sod. Winters were long, cold and hard, but somehow, they managed.
The 30's were DRY, and barren, and they had NO access to water, even if they had the means to pay for it.
So, here we are. 2012. For all of us who are inspired to grow a garden, for the love of the process, the global economic and positive health
benefits, I say - CHEERS !! Let us not be discouraged by racoons, and drought. It is an opportunity for us to remember those who homesteaded because it was their reality - not a trend. Hard times come our way so that we can truly appreciate the good ones. And the bountiful harvest that I'm sure you will all be blessed with, if not this year, sometime soon.
Have FUN with this! I wish you all dreams fulfilled.
Cheers!
margaret in Winnipeg, Canada
Anon, what a great comment and message!! Thanks for sharing a little of your family history. Really, so inspiring!
What did you mean by my ROI post? Thanks for dropping by here!
Post a Comment