Monday, October 1, 2012

Autumn Photo Update

 This is a dish I used to make all the time when I was a vegetarian (for years, years ago!). It's in some DK cookbook and should be called a Pie Full O' Carbs. Basically, in a spring form pan you bake a pie full of pasta and vegetables and meld them all together using a cheesy roux and 3 eggs.
 I had listened to a podcast about picnics and good traveling foods and got inspired. We took this to the lake for our last swim of the season. Yum!


This is just a shot of a dinner from last Tuesday (bell peppers, chicken, fresh corn, onions, garlic, arugula and rice in the background). I went to the Farmer's Market and was so pleased to see so many people I know. One of those lovely souls was Grace, who sells vegetables and her excellent micro greens. I asked what I should add to my dinner from her table. I told her I had chicken and rice as a base. Arugula! she told me.
Very well. I'd forgotten how much I like arugula. I've not had it in such a long time. I ripped up over my food for the next 3 days! (Especially nice over the Indian muttar paneer I made!)

 My birthday was last week so I made myself a loaf of challah, my favorite bread to make and eat.

 I couldn't pass up the end of the season 5 dozen ears of corn for $10 deal. It's such a messy production, but well worth it! The corn is amazing. And even though you can't see it, I'm wearing an awesome Audrey Hepburn necklace (her image is on a penny, no less!) my lovely friend and neighbor gifted me. 


 Every year my children go trick or treating at the end of September at my mother's campground. I love/hate this for many reasons. It makes me have to start thinking about costumes at the end of August. They get a ton of crap candy that shouldn't even enter the house (but oh! Those Reese's Peanut Butter Cups!). Then they get to do it again on real Halloween. What I do like about it is that they love it. And so does my Mom. Pictured here, Finn from Adventure Time, my lovely Dia de los Muertos Lady, and a little Tiger Gal. They're so stinking cute!

 It's my baby's 3rd birthday!! Holy smokes! Time does fly. She's so wonderful! Let's read that birth story again, shall we? All right, you don't have to. But I will. :)
 Fortunately, the big kids didn't have school today, so it has felt even more like a holiday for M. Here's two of them enjoying breakfast cake while checking out (ironically?) the play doh dentist head!

This Old House. Quaint, sturdy, built to last....hardly efficient.Today I finally mixed up a bucket of cement and crawled around the foundation patching up the stones that were cobbled together 156 years ago.Hopefully this will drastically decrease the number of autumn mice that always try to get in. I've not done any masonry before. It felt kind of good to work with my hands ("You shouldn't get cement on your hands," my neighbor shouted over. "It'll dry them out. It's not a good thing.") Oh. Well, I was already done at that point. I did bring a putty knife with me, but working around irregular stones is totally different than putting spackle on drywall!

3 comments:

Grace said...

I hadn't checked your blog for so long- just saw this now! I'm so glad you enjoyed the arugula. You guys are all so adorable, I wish I saw you all more. <3

Kris said...

Hello! I found your blog when I was looking up growing backyard grains and I noticed that you had ordered some seeds in one of your blog posts. Did you ever end up planting it? Did it work out? This is a project I am going to try this Summer, hopefully!

Mid-life Midwife said...

Grace- miss you too, lady! Know that I'm always mentally sending your clan love from down the hill. You're awesome and I'm so impressed at all you do.

Kris- the grains. We ordered and received a few types of ancient wheat. We planted, they grew, but it wasn't enough to do anything with. Just the same, they were really beautiful. We just don't have enough land to plant wheat in. For a while we talked about cooperatively renting land with others to grow organic, heirloom grains. We even had a farmer with the equipment but the project kind of overwhelmed us and then I got pregnant and I was super busy as a midwife.... it got away from me. There's a good podcast out of Canada called Deconstructing Dinner (maybe I referenced it in that post years ago?) that talked about a grain CSA somewhere in Canada. That was my initial inspiration. :) I just quickly peeked at your blog. You've got such a sweet family! And snow! And Christmas tree! Let me know if you plant any grains. :)