Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Cows and Shredded Yard







We went to Calder's Dairy at the beginning of the month. We haven't been in about 3 years. I wanted the kids to see where all that glorious milk we get delivered comes from. Little S got to feed a calf. I was amazed (but shouldn't have been) to see how strong the sucking reflex was on the calf. The teenage girl who helped S start the feeding allowed the calf to suck on her fingers before and after the feeding. Reminded me of how we let a newborn suck our pinkie during a newborn exam. So sweet.

We didn't stay around for the milking, but we did get to see the set up. S saw the milking a few years ago. Also saw various cows, pigs, goats, chickens, peacocks, geese, etc. Good fun. If you go, know that they don't take Visa or Mastercard, etc. I never, ever carry cash and half the family was already sucking down their ice cream cones by the time I figured out I couldn't pay for them. Fortunately, G has some of those strange paper notes in his pocket, so we got to finish our ice cream.

We scored a free rototiller this weekend. My mom's ex-husband picked one up from a friend who was going to trash it, saying it didn't work. He picked it up and replaced a belt and it fired up perfectly. He called and said we could have it. So we picked it up Sunday in exchange for $20 (cost of belt), a bottle of Arrow Peppermint schnapps (his drink of choice~ ack!), and a promise to bring him veggies all summer.

So G got busy straight away tilling another rectangle of garden space. He said our neighbor (who reads this!), shouted over to him, "Have you gone completely MAD?"
Too funny.
I am promising my lovely neighbors our yard will be pretty to look at soon.
We've planted starting with a small circle in the middle, with bigger circles radiating out. The twine marking an X is the pathways into the garden once things grow.
We have yet to plant in the other garden. Received half my stuff from Johnny's selected seeds yesterday. Waiting on more potatoes, herbs and a few veg yet.

The basket of eggs? Good gawd, I gave some away today to a client. Will give some to my mom. We're supposed to pick up more Friday. I should bake a bunch of quick breads and cookies for the summer when we want those things but it's too darn hot to turn on the oven. We'll see.

I can't wait to post more pics of the garden as things grow. It will be lovely!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sadly I don't think a rototiller would hack it here with our extremely compacted, baked, and impossible to dig soil! I am envious that it is so easy for you guys to prepare beds. Will just have to stick to the backbreaking, and extremely tedious pick axe here in sunny AZ! Ho hum. :)

Mid-life Midwife said...

Oh my. A pick axe? I suppose so. Can you get non-desert things to grow in your soil~ like veggies? Or do you have to do raised beds with store-bought soil? I do envy you folks for being able to grow tomatoes in February! How dreamy!
My sister lived in Phoenix for a year and we always said it was like life on Mars. Not bad, mind you (she loved it there), but so different than our temperate (to extremes) climate here in Michigan.

Anonymous said...

Yes we can grow non- desert things as long as we add lots of compost. Mind you, I say that from what I have read in books, not from personal experience as I am just getting started with all that this year. I do miss the more temperate temps I have to admit.

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't worry about your neighbor reading this. I've seen him and I'm certain he's illiterate.