Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Seed order placed- First lamb bits cooked

I just placed my seed order with Johnny's Selected Seeds. Here's the list for those who care:
green bean (bush variety)
beets
carrots (storage)
carrots (early spring)
parsnips
cucumbers (pickling)
cucumbers (regular salad variety)
sorrel
collards
greens mix
sprouts (mung, buckwheat)
peas
yukon gold potatoes
dark red potatoes
spinach
yellow squash
sweet potatoes
basil (a few varieties~ LOVE basil, pesto, etc)
cilantro
cumin
broccoli
storage onions

Just realized I forgot cabbage. Crap! Really looking forward to making sauerkraut (this Polish girl loves the kraut). Will most likely buy stuff here and there as it shows up at the farmer's market. Can certainly hit up the local Coleman's plant/flower place for seedlings in a few weeks.

Waiting on the ground to dry up so the tree people can take down the rogue maples and we can turn over the new garden plot. It's gonna be 68 today! Woo hoo! Really thinking about making G go to Lowe's to rent a rototiller before work to turn over the garden we do have. Doubt that will happen today.

My mom bought 3 raspberry plants for the yard. They're currently upstairs in her window greening up on the sill. I want to get a few varieties of blueberries as well. Have got to wait for the trees to fill out. I'm always deceived by how much sun the yard gets until the trees finally fluff out in mid to late May.

Oh, I picked up the lamb order last week. It felt kind of shady meeting this woman at an appointed time in the Trader Joe's parking lot, both of us with our trunks open, swapping a big bag of meat from her cooler to mine.
At any rate, Sunday I made a lamb shoulder roast in the crock pot with loads of garlic and vegetables. I was sick with some throat issues and a fever and the lamb was on bones with fat here and there. It made me a little woozy, so I didn't eat it. Had to fake like I did for the kid's sake. Daughter loved it, Little E was in one of those 3 year old, live-on-air days. The next day, feeling even crappier but hungry, I made a peasant soup using ground lamb and it was awesome. Topped it with shredded parmesan cheese. So I don't think it was necessarily the taste to the lamb roast that turned me off, but rather, anytime meat is too meat-like, my OCD texture issues rise up. Pathetic, I know. But it's always been like that. When I see bones and fat and sinewy bits, my brain kicks into over-drive visually and I feel like a cannibal.
Ack.
Yes, I know. This woman has issues. I'm working through them, people! One fatty lamb shank at a time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am very interested and can't wait to see them all planted, and growing! :)

Mid-life Midwife said...

thank you! I can't wait to start planting either!
The grass JUST turned from brown to bright Spring green this week. Another 3-4 weeks before we put things in the ground I think.