Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Tuesday Market

Went to the Tuesday afternoon farmer's market with little E on the back of the bike.
It always amazes me how I will spend exactly what is in my pocket whenever I carry actual cash. I always spend less when it's taken off my card, out of my checking account.
At any rate, for $30 I bought: a dill plant, asparagus, spinach, raw milk goat's feta (local), green onions, apples (sign said they were grown in Michigan, but they looked too good to have been wintered over- didn't have the nerve to ask and little E really wanted them), coffee (clearly not locally grown, BUT it was locally roasted)and a mason jar of BBQ sauce. I'm not as hardcore as Barbara Kingsolver. The ingredients in the BBQ sauce are not local, I'm sure. But the old woman selling it was super sweet and our daughter really loves BBQ sauce.

For dinner we had cube steak (which I've not had for at least 18 years or so-it was surprisingly quite good and not freaky-grisly), spinach/greens mix salad with green onions, and baked potatoes (not spring potatoes, but left-over store bought ones), with locally made sour cream, topped with more green onions. It was quite the American meat-and-potatoes meal, but it was really tasty.

I'm supposed to go the Wednesday market for bacon for my husband. He normally makes wrap sandwiches for his lunch at work using prosciutto and greens. Local bacon has to take the place of the prosciutto. He uses only one strip of bacon per wrap, so it lasts a while. Plus, it's incredibly salty making a little go a long way.

My former 7 year stretch vegetarian self can't believe I wait for Wednesdays to buy bacon or that there's half a freezer chest full of animal meat in the basement. Oh well.

I swear I want someone to make me a tshirt that says: What Would Laura Do? with a silouette of Laura Ingall's Wilder on there. Between growing our own and being a midwife, I often feel like I've got a lot in common with the pioneer girl.

No comments: