Monday, June 2, 2008

We've Started




June 1st arrived yesterday, and with it, our year of eating local.

So far, our garden only has lettuce and mixed salad greens to offer.

Saturday night after walking around Argo Livery and park, we celebrated May 31st (last day of eating non-local food), we stopped off at Krogers to get marshmallows, Hershey bars, grahams crackers and sushi. We had a fine backyard evening fire pit complete with sticky fingers, mosquito bites and a shared can of Fosters. Good times, good times.

Last Wednesday we picked up our quarter cow. There's a ton of beef in the freezer downstairs! While I'm wowed by how much comes from a 1/4 cow, I still have this feeling of: don't eat it all! It has to last!

We have some lamb left too. We're up to our eyeballs in eggs, and unfortunately, one of the kids doesn't like to eat eggs (or hamburger!).

Today at Zingermans' Creamery I bought the mozzarella cheese making kit for $27. It makes 30 3/4 pound batches of mozzarella. I also bought the hard cheese making kit with sealing wax for $30. Making hard cheese is supposed to be more difficult than soft, but I figured it was worth the investment. I prefer hard cheese to soft.

So I'm sure we'll have pictures of our cheese making attempts in the very near future.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck for a successful venture! I have to say as I was eyeing the veggie Samosa's at Trader Joe's today I thought of you and how brave I think you are! I am not sure me or my family are quite up to this yet, but who knows..........

sugarcreekstuff said...

Wow, a great last day. And then a whole year, props to you.
Let us know how the mozzarella kit works out, time and effort and such, I may be interested it doing that too.