Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The New Toy





The pressure canner has proved amazing. We've been canning a lot more things in a shorter amount of time. We've done around 12 pints tomatoes, 12-14 more pints peaches, 12 quarts veggie quinoa soup (vegetables from the garden, quinoa from an ancient, unopened pack I've had in the pantry for 3 years). We've also done more freezer bag things like collards and corn.

Last Thursday Greg and my dad took 20 chickens in dog crates to Boyer's Meat Processing (Barr Rd. off Geddes, for you local folks). We picked them up that evening, each in their own bag for only $45. Money well spent,for sure. Greg had already processed around 14 himself a couple weeks back. We still have 6 more to be processed, and that will be that for the meat birds.

We need to get on the ball with making a coop for the egg layers we want to bring home. Hopefully in the next few weeks...

The tomatoes pictured above are gorgeous! My friend gave me a few seedlings of various things this spring in exchange for 20 onion sets. That crazy tomato plant was one of them. It's some sort of heirloom Italian paste tomato, I believe. I keep thinking she said the name was Fortunato, but my subconscious could be completely making that up. That word has been in my brain for weeks. Fortunato. Hmmmm.

Aside from wishing it would rain a bit more often than never, the garden and eating has been great. The chest freezer is nearly full, now that we have so many chickens in there. There's still a lot of steaks and roast from the 1/4 cow we bought this spring, as well as a few hunks of lamb that I just can't stomach!

Hopefully I can post pictures of a chicken run in the very near future!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the new toy! You know, I am not a terribly acquisitive person but boy do I really love my pressure canner...I have had it for about 3 years and every year it gets better. Are you going to can some of the meat birds? That's on my horizon next for some quick soups for winter. Would work well with your schedule ;0

Oh and I love how Greg is standing at a respectful distance from the thing.

Mid-life Midwife said...

He's mesmerized by the pressure gauge! I don't know if you can tell in that photo, but next to the large pressure canner is our regular pressure cooker-- which I use to sterilize my instruments in their plastic/paper sterile packs.
Stove-top bomb!

sugarcreekstuff said...

Ok, how is it that your kitchen is so clean while you are canning? I start with a clean slate but by the time I'm finished, messy messy messy!

Anonymous said...

Those tomatoes look scrumptious! Yum. I must try and investigate canning. It is a whole other world for me right no though, wouldn't know where to start.