Tuesday, August 26, 2008

A Trip to the Grocery Store

Last week we had some friends come over for dinner so they could harvest our hops that we won't be using. I thawed out hamburger from the freezer cow and contemplated giving bun making another shot. I do quite well with bread making, but every bun recipe I've tried just doesn't work out.

So I decided to go to Kroger's to just buy some hamburger buns. I took our 4 year old son with me.

As we were walking up to the building he asked me,-What is this place? The dentist?

-No, it's the grocery store.

-What's inside there?

-Food, baby.

It's only been 2 1/2 months since we've been serious about eating local. And granted, before eating local, we often shopped at the food co-op, the farmer's market and Trader Joe's. Yet once inside Kroger's, my boy was all Oooos and Aaaahs! Too funny!

He begged for a box of crackers. The previous night at bed time he asked for crackers. My husband and I realized we hadn't had crackers- that all time, favorite kid snack- in a very long time. Our little guy moaned,-We haven't had crackers in a long, long time!
So at Kroger's, I granted his wish, broke down and bought him a box of CheezIts along with our hamburger buns. We had a load of kids at the house that afternoon, so the crackers were devoured in about 12 minutes.

Who knew the grocery store could be so quickly forgotten?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How nice that a grecery store can be so easily forgotten! :)

Alison Kerr said...

My kid's first experience of an American grocery store was at 3am - we just arrived the night before from the UK and were jetlagged. I'm pretty sure the night staff were absolutely astounded to see two very happy kids exploring in the wee hours! Personally I was almost paralyzed by the baffling array of choices when we tried to choose milk!

I admire what you are doing with your diet.