Monday, May 10, 2010

Potatoes from Space

Here's a mix of those freaky potatoes from the crawl space. The potatoes I threw in the ground willy nilly. Over the last week, I've noticed other things growing too, things that I have not yet planted this year. Which just goes to show that harvesting the garden at 37-38 weeks pregnant does not make for clean grounds. In last year's potato spot, I have at least 20 or so potato plants coming up. They're not in rows or anything resembling order, they're just growing where they fell. Apparently I was too large and grumpy to deal with grabbing up those little puny spuds and now I've got potatoes growing all over the darn place.
Same is true for radishes. I've not planted any radishes yet, but they're all over the place too.
I found this out by grabbing handfuls of greens (weeds) from the as yet unplanted garden to feed to the chickens. I was out there without my glasses and was wondering which one of the kids threw red bouncy balls in the chicken run. Wait- hold a sec...those are radishes? Where did those come from?!
They came from the spot in the garden that I just got fed up with and let go to seed sometime last September.
Funny how these things persist despite a long winter and having a rototiller mix it all up- twice! Once last fall and again last month.
I have a lot to plant, but I'm not trusting the weather and the soil temps yet to put too much in. I'm going to give it another week or two. These 35* nights and mornings are not my idea of fair May weather.
In other news, we've got ourselves a broody hen. One of the black Australorps has gotten it into her head that she's determined to sit on and hatch our unfertilized eggs. Every day one of us has to go in there and tell her otherwise (i.e., shoo her off the nesting box and eggs). I feel bad for her, but it's a big pain in the butt. Time is so tight and there's a million things going on and now I've to counsel a hen to boot? Oh honey...

All right, back at it.

2 comments:

Kimmer said...

woman,wife, mom, midwife, chicken counselor... I love it!

BTW: I'm sorry to hear about the recurring porch plant thief. What a bummer. I guess it'd look funny to chain your porch plants to the porch. let's just hope you're pansies are helping to beautify another house!

Mid-life Midwife said...

Kim, the plant thief made me so angry! But yes, if they're that desperate for flowers for their own porch, then so be it. :)
Did I ever tell ya about the time I came home and there was some dude picking tomatoes out of my back yard? I was glad he was taking some, and I hoped it helped fill his belly. It's just such an unexpected sort of thing. :)